Santa Barbara is not only a beautiful place to live, we are also fortunate to have an abundance of activities, employment opportunities, and resources at our disposal. Our year-round temperate weather provides an abundance of sports and recreation opportunities.
This section of web site is set aside to assist residents in finding popular city services, forms and handouts, information about your community and neighborhoods. These pages are an introduction to some of the things both newcomers and long-time residents may find useful.
Headed by the City Council, which is composed of a Mayor and six Council Members, the Santa Barbara City Government is an organization dedicated to serving the people of our community.
In the Government section of the City web site you will find useful information about your boards and commissions, laws, city budget, employment, and contact information so that you can get in touch and communicate with those who serve you.
Use the links below to find City services without having to know which department offers the service. Pages and links in this section are also available on the "How Do I..." menu.
- Determining Your Business Structure Starting a business is a difficult decision at best. While there is no single source that outlines all required procedures, this page has been developed to assist you in starting your business.
- Business Licenses To conduct business in Santa Barbara, you must obtain a business license and pay an annual business tax. A City business license is required prior to conducting any business activity in the City.
- Business Improvement Districts Business improvement districts have been established for businesses in the downtown area and lodging establishments. If your business is part of an improvement district, an assessment fee is paid for specific services and benefits for your business. Benefits may include marketing and promotional services or public parking for customers.
- Commercial Cannabis Businesses On January 23, 2018, The City Council established the procedures to govern the application process for the types of cannabis businesses. To apply for a Commercial Cannabis Business license, review the information on this page and submit an application through Planet Bids.
- Special Event Permits Do you want to organize a new event for our community but don't know where to start? Or is your event already established and you want to complete paperwork for this year's event? You've come to the right spot.
- Taxicab Permit Requirement License and permit requirements for taxicab companies and independent drivers offering taxicab or pedicab services in the City of Santa Barbara.
- Solicitor's & Peddler's Permit Requirements All persons conducting door-to-door solicitation in the City of Santa Barbara, whether you are located inside or outside the City, are required to obtain a City of Santa Barbara Business License Tax Certificate and apply for a Solicitor/ Peddler permit.
- Massage Permits License and permit requirements for technicians and establishments.
- Additional Permit Information Information on permits required on certain business activities in conjunction with a current business license.
- Transient Occupancy Tax Information for Hotel, Bed & Breakfast and Short-Term Vacation Rental Operators that collect, report and pay Transient Occupancy Tax on behalf of the City of Santa Barbara.
- Utility Users Tax Information Information for Utility Providers that collect, report, and pay Utility Users Tax on behalf of the City of Santa Barbara.